Monday, December 15, 2014

My latest piece of kit!

 Hey all, back again with another post on a new piece of kit. This is also my first post that will also appear on the Bush Craft USA blogs. So if you found my blog there and then made your way here, welcome! I’m always looking for new readers
I just got this little gem off an auction on ebay and I’m really happy with it. It is a tired and true old school repair kit. Lots of information on it on the web, you tube videos on its use, the whole deal.  It’s not my intent to reinvent the wheel and go in to detail on the use and operation of this item.
So, here it is a Stewart MFG Speedy Stitcher stitching awl. As a size reference, that is a Swiss Army Knife Farmer propping up the box in the bottom of the picture.

This one is an old one but is in perfect working condition! Check out the shipping date and postage cost on the box from when it was originally sent to the first owner. November 30th 1967 from Sportsman’s Post Inc. in Danbury CT to Chelmsford MA for the grand total of 10¢!


It comes to me complete with a bobbin of the course waxed thread and 3 needles: a #8 needle, a #8 curved needle and a #4 fine needle. The eye of the #4 is too small for the included thread so something finer would be needed to use that particular needle.

I am an admitted history lover and I found the included original instruction sheet and spare parts order form just as cool as the stitcher itself. My kids laughed because I spent more time looking at it than the tool.  Check out that original retail price, postage paid!

Sorry for any blurry pics and thank you for reading along!

No comments:

Post a Comment