Friday, November 7, 2014

Ordinary days

This post, while I hope others will read, is mainly here as a reminder to me. A quick note to remind us to take note of even "ordinary" days. I'm just a budding blogger, starting out and hoping that I get better and better with each post. I'm not the story teller I want to be just yet, still perfecting my skills as a wordsmith.

The idea, then, is to take note of the small things, the ordinary things, we find outside and write about them.  Lets take a moment when we can, to notice things. On our way out to the car in the morning, or standing at the bus stop, walking the corner store, whatever. Perhaps, if we go out with the intent of writing about our experiences we might enhance them. We might become more observant, more critical, heighten our awareness even. We may think of things in a new way, question things we thought we knew, not to mention learn new things. Anything is possible.

If I can train my brain to the point that when I am out on a hike or a simple walk around the block or impromptu outing to look for interesting things...well I might just find them!

To me this is similar to my reason for taking a camera with me when ever I can. Hoping that I will take a picture that will rekindle the experience or feelings that I felt at the time of the photo.

Who know, if we take these notes and write them down someone, our family or students might look on these quick notes and observations and find them fascinating.

Now. To give credit where it is do, what got me on this topic was an article I found in the July-August edition of the Minnesota Conservation Volunteer magazine. It's put out by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources and I absolutely love this magazine. This particular issue opens with an editorial by the editor in chief, Kathleen Weflen and its called "Take Note of Ordinary days". It speaks in more depth on just what I've blogged here and its what sparked this post.

Soon the weather here in the Northstar state is going to get down right cold. When we are bundled up like arctic explorers quick stepping into the next warm shelter or store I can't honestly say I will be able to notice much. From now until then, and as soon as I get acclimated again, I will endeavor to take better note, and post them here, of "ordinary" days.

No comments:

Post a Comment