Monday, October 20, 2014

Hey folks,

Well I finally scored at the local thrift stores after what feels like years of searching for outdoors gear. I saw the big pot with lid and bail on the shelf with a $5.99 price tag and was already happy with the find. I was completely surprised when I picked it up and it felt heavy.  I popped it open and, well you can see in the pictures what I found inside. I put a death grip on my find and headed right for the register, worried a little that they would tell me that it was priced wrong when I got to the check out.  It feels like the same metal military cook sets are made from, aluminum I'm guessing?  No stamps or other identifying marks anywhere on the set so if you have a clue about who or what the set is, please share.

On to the pictures!



The pot as I found it on the shelf. It's big, easily holds a gallon or more of liquid. On sight I thought if nothing else I could collect and boil water in it at a family or hunting campsite.



This is what I saw when I popped the lid!



All pulled out. all the pots and lids have a slot for the handle attachment and most of the pots have what I am calling bail nubs on them. Little protrusions that a wire bail can be attached to. 5  drinking cups, 1 collapsible cup, 5 - medium sized plates, 1 handle that fits all the pots and lids, the big pot and lid everything fits in, and 3 other pots and a lid. The numbers work out perfectly as I have the wife and I and three kids in the immediate family.



A previous owner even did a mod on this pot to add a pour spout.



A final shot of just the pots and lids.

From feedback on some forums these sets were made by various manufacturers. Some have mentioned that they are very similar to cook sets designed for boy/girl scouts. I'm still on the look out for good cast iron pieces but the Chow hall is that much closer to being fully set!

Thanks for looking, and thanks ahead of time if you have any info to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment