Friday, August 17, 2012

Hatchet Project

This will be my first attempt at fixing up an axe or hatchet, or any tool for that matter. Wish me luck!

The hatchet is nothing special except for possibly sentimental reasons. It was the hatchet my Step Father used as his boy scout hatchet when he was a scout. I've looked all over the head and can not find any marks as to a brand or maker.

Anyway I found it in the shed, head falling off the handle just as you see it in the picture.I asked him for it and he didn't seem to mind giving it up. I thought I could re handle it and take the paint off the head with out too much trouble, maybe give it back to My step dad or hold on to it for my on kids.

So that is what the project will be, complete with some pics to tell the tale.

Looking at the head sitting on the new handle, does the head look too small for this particular handle? Maybe I should get a smaller handle at the hardware store?

Let me know what you think.


Pic 1 is the old hatchet, the leather sheath and the new handle.


Pic 2 here is what the head and the new handle should look like when finished. Does the head look too small for this handle to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment